Constructed in 1825 by Conrad Fudge. The Fudge Farm consists of over 250 acres near Surgoinsville. A central part of the early Stony Point community, it sat on the Holston River. The house was an Inn on the Great Stage Coach Road.
The farm was once a self-contained homestead with its own water supply, still in existence, a blacksmith shop, and numerous barns which are still standing. Across the old highway, the property continues, sits 2 log structures. One of which is recognized as one of the 3 oldest barns in Tennessee.
The Fudge farm is still owned by members of the original family that received the farm through a land grant.
Around 1806, William and Matilda Lyons established the Lyonsdale Farm in Hawkins County. On 1,640 acres, they raised tobacco and cattle. In addition to farming, William partnered with his son David and established a store known as William Lyons and Son and called locally “Lyons Store”. The two-story brick building, which was operated as a store from about 1800 to 1900, also served as the Lyons Post Office from 1837 to 1866. The conscription center for the Confederacy was also located at this building. Located on the stage road, now Highway 11W, William and Matilda also operated an inn and way station in their home . Nine children were born to the couple.
The next owner of the land was their son, Clinton Gallagher Lyons. Married to Margaret Lavinia Cooke, the couple raised five children. During this generation, the farm continued to support primary crops including tobacco, livestock, and a variety of grains and vegetables. As time moved on, the farm was passed to Clinton’s son, William Cooke Lyons and then it was acquired by William’s son, George Conner Lyons. He and his wife, Jessie Powell Draper, they had four children, Mary Elizabeth, Virginia Ewing, Frances Draper and Jessie Goodbar.
In 1966, the great, great granddaughter of the founder, Jessie Lyons Brown acquired the farm. She and her husband, William Horatio Brown, IV, oversee the farm’s management, leasing it to Wayne Byington who raises tobacco, cattle and hay. A two-story log home, built in 1891, the historic Lyons Store and Post Office building, and a blacksmith shop that were constructed in the late nineteenth century are reminders of the two hundred years of farming history that the Lyons family celebrates this year.
Long Meadow Farm
Records of land transactions are not always available from the earliest years of settlement history. While the Young family may have come into Carter’s Valley (Hawkins County) as early as the 1760s, documents to prove the exact date are unavailable. William Young and his wife Carolyn Walker, who died in 1793 and 1790 respectively, are known to have been in the area for some years prior to their deaths. The earliest legal document associated with Long Meadow Farm, however, is a deed registered in 1791 showing the acquisition of 350 acres by John Young for fifty shillings in what was then Sullivan County, North Carolina. John and his wife Margaret Galbraith raised twelve children. Their son, John Young II, became the next generation to own the land. John II and his son Wylie fought in the Civil War on the Confederate side.
The next owner of the property was Wylie Miller Young. Along with his wife, Ida Whitlock, they managed the farm and raised four children. Eventually, the farm was passed onto the three remaining children, Henry, Frances and Robert. Under the siblings ownership, the farm produced tobacco, wheat, cattle and sheep. Henry never married; however his sister Frances married Charles Edward Schumacker. Robert wed Naomi White Fulkerson and they resided in Knoxville where Robert practiced medicine. Their three children, Georgiana Young Pearson, Frances Young Torbett, and Robert Miller Young, Jr. are the current owners of the farm. Robert Miller Young Jr. manages Long Meadow Farm which is located just north of Surgoinsville. The farm mainly produces beef cattle.
The farm is a lesson in Tennessee history. A slave burying ground is on the farm and remaining nineteenth century buildings include a log corn crib, a stable, a log kitchen, a log spring house, a log smoke house, widows house, two barns, a hay barn and the main house. This house, which has evolved over the years with the family, has a log part that likely dates to at least the late eighteenth century. In the 1973 nomination which placed the house on the National Register of Historic Places, it was described as “one of the oldest structures remaining in the state.”
In late 1700s, William Armstrong is said to have built the first brick building in Hawkins County up on a hillside. Later, a red brick house was built to the north, and then the two connected together. When these houses were built, most of the materials were found locally. The slate and the fireplaces were from Caney Valley and the bricks were made from clay on the farm.